Three charged in conspiracy to obtain crystal meth

DRUGS: Nov. 23 trial set in ordeal that led to break-in and shootings.

September 19, 2009 

Two people who were the victims of a home-invasion robbery that ended last May with gunfire have been hit with federal drug conspiracy charges.

Tupou Satini Jr., 31, and Amy Renee Itta, 23, are each charged in a federal indictment with plotting to receive a package from California containing 573 grams of crystal methamphetamine hidden in a pink Barbie Tough Trike box.

Satini's sister, Nanasi Kalala Satini, 24, was also charged as a co-conspirator. She told investigators the package was intended for both of her brothers, Tupou and "Tony," whom Itta is dating.

Tupou Satini denied his brother had a role in the plan, according to a Drug Enforcement Administration affidavit filed in court. His brother has not been charged.

Investigators learned of the package when a person claiming to be the person to whom it was addressed called Alaska State Troopers to report it would be arriving via FedEx. She apparently did not know the package contained drugs but was suspicious about it, the affidavit says. She was not charged.

Tupou Satini, Nanasi Satini and Amy Itta have been ordered held in jail pending trial. The trial is set for Nov. 23.

Tupou Satini's home in the Dimond Estates Mobile Home Park near Minnesota Boulevard was the target of a home-invasion robbery for thieves demanding money back on May 4.

Satini and his brother, Lofia Satini, 30, were at the home with Lofia's girlfriend, Itta, and five children at the time of the robbery.

Three armed men burst through the door about midnight demanding cash, according to police. One of the robbers pistol-whipped Tupou Satini, cutting his head and causing the gun to fire. That prompted Lofia Satini to begin wrestling with the attackers; he was shot twice in the chest during the melee. Itta started crawling down the hall and was shot in the back, according to police. None of the children was injured and both of the gunshot victims survived.

The attack ended after Lofia Satini wrestled free a weapon and began firing back at the robbers.

It was not clear Saturday if any arrests have been made in the robbery.

Anchorage Daily News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service