A ceiling fire at the Taco Bell on Business Boulevard in Eagle River burned for about 10 minutes before being brought under control July 12, 2010. A tall off-duty firefighter stopping for a snack about 5:20 p.m. smelled smoke near the ceiling and alerted the owner, who called the fire department, according to Deputy Anchorage Fire Chief Michelle Weston. They searched the ceiling but could find no trace of fire. About 6:40 p.m., they were called back when passers-by saw smoke pouring from the roof tiles. Firefighters took 10 minutes to extinguish the blaze in a section of roof away from the cooking area, leading them to suspect it was electrically caused, Weston said.
ERIK HILL / Anchorage Daily NewsBuy Photo
Eagle River and Anchorage fire crews were battling a blaze at the Taco Bell in Eagle River Monday evening.
"The roof is on fire at this moment," Michelle Weston, deputy fire chief, said shortly before 7 p.m.
She said all three fire department units based in Eagle River responded as did units from Station 6 in Muldoon. The restaurant is at 12130 Business Boulevard.