• 10600 Main Tree Drive: Take O’Malley Road east from the Seward Highway to Main Tree Drive and turn left to find Nancy Sully’s wonderful perennial garden on a large Lower Hillside lot.
• 7440 Alatna Ave.: From Main Tree Drive continue up O’Malley to Hillside Drive. Turn right (south) on Hillside Drive. The third left on Hillside is Alatna and the first driveway on the right is 7440 Alatna; park in the driveway or along Hillside Drive but not on Alatna. Rita Gittins’ bed and breakfast is located in a beautiful Alaska setting on acreage that includes several perennial plantings as well as many containers.
• 12941 Stephenson St.: Come back down to the Old Seward Highway. (With construction on Huffman Road, it’s best to take O’Malley Road or DeArmoun Road) Between Huffman and Dearmoun is Helen Drive. Turn east to reach Stephanson Street. The garden of Rock and Kandi Reed has several delightful water features, with a combination of perennials, vegetables and other annuals.
• 1846 Hamilton Drive: Go south on Stephenson Street to Hamilton Drive. Marge and Jim Arnold’s home on the corner of Hamilton and Stephenson has many creative plantings.
• 11545 Discovery Heights Circle: Going back to the Old Seward Highway, take Klatt Road west to Discovery Bay Drive. (If you’re coming from north of Dimond Boulevard, take Victor Road south to Southport Drive to get to Discovery Bay.) Turn west on Discovery Bay and take the first left, which is Discovery Heights Circle, and go all the way to the top to the last house on the left. Michael Coles has a beautifully landscaped property with shrubs, perennials and containers throughout the yard.
• 1041 W. 23rd Ave.: Heading toward downtown, turn onto Fireweed Lane. Go north on North Star Street between Arctic Boulevard and Spenard Road and reach 23rd Avenue one block later. Turn left to the 1956 log home of Virginia Rusch at the corner of 23rd and Cope Street. The property is terraced with natural rock and stone, planted with a variety of perennials.
Reach Mike Dunham at firstname.lastname@example.org or 257-4332.