• CALL FOR WRITERS: Anchorage essayist and author Bill Sherwonit will teach a 12-week nature and travel writing class beginning 7- 9:30 p.m. Jan. 19 in the Sierra Club office downtown. Participants in this workshop-style class will explore and refine their own writing styles, with an emphasis on the personal essay form. The class will also read and discuss works by some of America's finest nature and travel writers. The cost is $240. To sign up for this Thursday night class or for more information, contact Sherwonit at 245-0283 or email@example.com. Further information about the teacher is also available at billsherwonit.alaskawriters.com.
• CALL FOR PLAYS: The Last Frontier Theatre Conference is calling for plays for its 2012 Play Lab. The conference takes place June 10-16. Selected plays receive public readings at the conference, with both public and private feedback sessions led by theater professionals. Authors must register for the conference and be in attendance for their reading. Plays must be from 20 minutes to two hours in length and are due by Jan. 5. Complete rules and updates about the conference are posted at www.theatreconference.org. Contact Dawson Moore at 907-834-1614 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
• CALL FOR WIND INSTRUMENT MUSICIANS: The University Wind Ensemble will hold auditions for the spring semester Jan. 15 in the afternoon. Email Mark Wolbers (email@example.com) to schedule an audition. The band rehearses from 4- 5:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays in the East High School band room. UAA students pursuing degrees in music make up the core of the ensemble. The remaining chairs are awarded through auditions to non-music university students, along with community adults and high school musicians. All performers are registered for upper-division credit at UAA. Non-music majors enroll for one credit.
• CALL FOR ACTORS: Valley Performing Arts director Elizabeth Hanson will hold auditions for "The Trip To Bountiful" in March. She's looking for four to six males (ages 20-65 but flexible) and three to five females (ages 20-75 but flexible). Check valleyperformingarts.org for specific positions and audition requests. VPA produces seven plays a year starting in September and ending in May.
• CALL FOR ARTISTS: Ptarmigan Arts in Homer is currently soliciting artists for shows in all media in the Back Room Gallery for the months of April, August, September, October, November and December 2012 and all months of 2013. Solo shows and most collaborations are welcome. For details, contact Dan Fischer at 907-235-5977 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CALL FOR ALL ARTISTS: The 2012 Alaska Arts and Culture Conference, "2012 Creative Communities," is set for Jan. 12-14 at the Egan Center, sponsored by the Alaska State Council on the Arts. Organizers say that from the opening speaker to the closing session, participants will be inspired, stimulated and entertained. The conference is for artists, arts organizations staff, volunteers, board members and arts educators. (Register at eed.state.ak.us/aksca.)
Do you have a creative opportunity to list in this column? Send details to email@example.com.