Shellfish poisoning reported in Juneau area

Associated PressApril 13, 2012 

Three suspected cases of paralytic shellfish poisoning have been reported in the Juneau area.

Alaska health officials say in a release that all three cases were related to the consumption of shellfish harvested over Easter weekend. All three people involved are recovering.

One man went to the hospital after eating razor clams from Admiralty Island. The other two cases were from eating butter clams from Lincoln or Ralston island beaches.

Early signs of paralytic shellfish poisoning include tingling in the tongue and lips. That can go to the fingers and toes, extending even to loss of control of limbs and difficulty breathing. State officials say death can occur within two hours.

Anchorage Daily News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service