This weekend begins Anchorage's annual citywide cleanup week with pick-up-the-trash events and free dropoff at the landfill and transfer stations. Most of the events are coordinated by the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce, with details at citywidecleanup.org.
Among the events:
• Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Super Sweeper Saturday at more than 80 schools throughout the city with kids and parents encouraged to pick up litter around school grounds and neighborhoods. Residents can also drop off trash collected in orange bags (available at Fred Meyer stores) before 2 p.m. Litter only; no yard materials or household trash.
• Saturday and May 19: Free dropoff of orange bags and other items 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the city landfill and the central and Girdwood transfer stations. Details at citywidecleanup.org.
• All week: Groups will be out around the city cleaning up roadsides, parks and other public areas. Your group can claim an area to clean up on an interactive map at citywidecleanup.org. Participants are responsible for transporting filled bags to the landfull or transfer station.
• Friday, May 18, 1-4 p.m.: Clean Sweep Celebration, AT&T Sports Pavilion.
• Saturday, May 19, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.: Anchorage Waterways Council Creek Cleanup at locations throughout the city. More info at anchoragecreeks.org.