• CALL FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS: The Alaska Photographic Center invites Alaska photographers to enter their photography and participate in Rarefied Light 2012, Alaska's largest juried photography exhibition. The competition is open to all photographers residing in Alaska. The 2012 juror is Cig Harvey, fine art photographer and Sante Fe photo workshop leader. Entries must be postmarked no later than June 4. See the APC website for more submission details and downloadable prospectus. (akphotoctr.org)
• CALL FOR ARTISTS: The 38th Annual Alaska Watercolor Society's annual juried exhibition is seeking paintings in water media for inclusion in its show. Deadline for submissions is June 6. All details and a prospectus can be found at akws.org. Nearly $4,000 was awarded to winners last year in cash and merchandise. Nationally known artist Frank Francese is the juror. For more information, contact Robert Winfree at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CALL FOR QUILTERS: Pratt Museum in Homer will host a themed quilt show, "History in the Making: Quilts, Quilters and Their Stories," Nov. 9-Dec. 30. Quilters are invited to create works that reflect their rich, shared local history or their own personal connection to this place. Each quilter will be asked to include a brief statement about their personal quilting history and the story of their piece. Quilts or wall hangings can be hand quilted, machine quilted or tied. All styles and techniques are welcome. Works must not exceed 72 inches in length or width. This is not a juried contest. Quilters must notify Pratt Museum curator Holly Cusack-McVeigh of their intent to participate no later than Sept. 1. Quilts need to be delivered for installation on Monday, Nov. 5, between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. For more information, call 907-235-8635.
• CALL FOR JAZZ CAMP STUDENTS: The AK Jazz Workshop Summer Jazz Camp applications are now available online or by calling. Beginners, intermediate and advanced sections are offered for grades 7-12 music students, university students and adults. New students must schedule a level placement audition with John Damberg. Students explore the creative world of jazz improvisation with AK Jazz master artists John Damberg, Mark Manners and internationally known Jazz Bari Saxophonist Denis Diblasio (August camp only). Camp dates are June 5-July 17 and Aug. 6-11. Registration deadlines are Thursday for June class and July 2 for the August camp. (332-3234, akjazzworkshop.org)
• CALL FOR MUSICIANS, POETS AND MORE: Anchorage Saturday and Sunday Markets will need musicians, poets and all manner of performing artists. Markets are Saturdays and Sundays through Sept. 19. Applications for the markets will be accepted throughout the summer. Contact Julia at 272-5634 or email her at email@example.com.
• CALL FOR ARTISTS AND WRITERS: Denali National Park has called for applications from visual artists and writers for the 2013 Artist-in-Residence program. Established artists and writers use a historic roadside cabin as a base to explore the park and seek inspiration from it. Many works from previous artists-in-residence are displayed in the Denali and Eielson visitor centers. Artists reside in the East Fork cabin, Mile 43 on the park road, for a 10-day period between June and mid-September. In return, each artist donates a piece of artwork or written piece to the park's collection. They also offer a public presentation for visitors at the end of their residency. Applications are available online at nps.gov/dena/historyculture/arts-program.htm.
• CALL FOR ART VENDORS, ENTERTAINERS AND FOOD VENDORS: The Anchorage Downtown Partnership is calling for art vendors for three events: Festival of Flowers Celebration, set for noon-8 p.m. June 1 in Town Square; the Downtown Summer Solstice Festival, scheduled for noon-6 p.m. June 23 on Fourth Avenue; and Salmon Daze, noon-6 p.m. July 28 on G Street between Third and Fourth avenues. Vendors must be Alaska artists. The group also seeks street entertainers and food vendors for the Summer Solstice Festival. For applications, call 279-5650 or email info@anchorage downtown.org.
Do you have a creative opportunity to list in this column? Send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.