Fire broke out Sunday night in a 24-unit condominium building in East Anchorage, displacing dozens of people and sending one resident to the hospital.
Capt. Jeff McDonald of the Anchorage Fire Department said a ground-floor apartment was fully ablaze in all four rooms when firefighters arrived. He didn't know whether the woman taken to the hospital was burned, suffered smoke inhalation or was injured another way.
Fire alarms went off and residents seemed to get out quickly, said Jeff Davis, who has lived in Anchorage Manorhouse, on Reka Drive, for about six years and was on the condo association board when the fire protection system was upgraded.
"Everything went as smooth as it could have gone," Davis said. He lives across from the unit where the fire began around 9:30 p.m. Smoke was already thick in the hallway when he evacuated. He had time to grab his laptop and phone.
Residents of the damaged building likely will not be able to stay in their units Sunday but may be able to collect some belongings, said Lisa Staniforth, the association manager.
The Red Cross was on the scene to help residents who needed a place to stay as a result of the fire.
Firefighters were able to put down the blaze before it spread to other units in the three-story building, McDonald said.
Reach Lisa Demer at email@example.com or 257-4390.