• CALL FOR ACTORS: Anchorage Theatre of Youth seeks young actors for an upcoming production of "Disney's The Little Mermaid Jr.," directed by Steven Hunt. Auditions are set for 2-5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 26, or 6-8:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 27, at 610 W. Fireweed Lane. Would-be actors only need to come to one day of auditions. Prepare a short song to be performed without accompaniment and dress to move. All are encouraged to memorize a short monologue to recite (30-60 seconds). There is a $100 actor participation fee for all performers 18 and younger who are cast in the production. For more information, call 338-4901.
• CALL FOR SINGERS: Anchorage Concert Chorus is looking for singers who like to sing a wide variety of musical genres and styles. Auditions will be held 5:45-9 p.m. Monday-Wednesday for the upcoming 2012-13 season. To schedule your audition, email auditions chair Lou Ann Hennig at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the upcoming season, visit anchorageconcertchorus.org.
• CALL FOR YOUNG SINGERS: The Anchorage Concert Chorus is offering mentorship awards for young singers so they may enjoy the experience of singing with Alaska's premiere large choral group. This mentorship will pay for membership dues, music and the tutelage of the group's conductor and artistic director, Grant Cochran, for the 2012-2013 concert season. If you are a student 16 years of age or older but not over 25 years old, attending high school or college in Alaska and available to sing the regular concert season, Sept. 3-April 20, you may be eligible to receive a mentorship award. For full details and an application, contact Carolyn Morris, mentorship coordinator at email@example.com or call 240-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up by Sept. 1.
• CALL FOR MUSICIANS, POETS AND MORE: Anchorage Saturday and Sunday Markets need musicians, poets and all manner of performing artists. Markets are Saturdays and Sundays through Sept. 19. Applications for the markets will be accepted throughout the summer. Contact Julia at 272-5634 or email her at email@example.com.
• CALL FOR WRITERS: Anchorage essayist and author Bill Sherwonit will teach a nature-writing workshop Labor Day weekend (Aug. 31-Sept. 3) at Stillpoint Lodge in Kachemak Bay's Halibut Cove. Through readings, writing exercises, discussions and quiet time spent in the company of nature (all of which are elements of the nature writer's life), participants will discover the ways that "writing down the wild" can lead to an intimacy with the larger, wilder world we inhabit, while also inspiring new stories and approaches to writing about our relationship with nature. The cost of $495 includes round-trip transportation from Homer, three nights lodging, gourmet meals, tuition for the workshop, outdoor activities and more. Get details and sign up online at stillpointlodge.com/workshops/8-31.htm or call the lodge at 907-296-2283.
• CALL FOR WRITERS: Alaska Women Speak, a quarterly writing journal, is seeking writing contributions. All writing will be considered but prefer early submissions, 1,200 words or less. The theme for the fall issue is "Shelter." Monday is the deadline. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a creative opportunity to list in this column? Send details to email@example.com.