CALL FOR ARTISTS: In 2015, Anchorage will commemorate the historic land auction that established the township of Anchorage 100 years ago. Many celebrations and educational opportunities are planned beginning in April 2013 with the commissioning of the USS Anchorage. The Anchorage Centennial Committee is now forming and marketing materials need to be created. Interested artists can submit their designs in two divisions, one for adults and another for youth. The winning logos will be a part of this historical, once-in-a-centennial event, and will be used on marketing materials. The deadline to submit artwork is Oct. 24, 2012 for the adult division and March 1, 2013 for the youth division. For an entry form and rules, visit AnchorageCentennial.org. Also see facebook.com/anchoragecentennial.
• CALL FOR ARTISTS: The University of Alaska Anchorage Student Union Gallery is calling for entries to the 27th annual No Big Heads, a national juried self-portrait competition open to all artists. Works must have been completed in the last three years and must not have been exhibited in any previous Student Union Gallery exhibition. Works must be no larger than 12 inches by 12 inches in any direction, including framing and hanging materials. Limit of two entries per person. Weight limitation is 65 pounds. Awards include $1,000 for best of show and a summer 2013 solo exhibit at the gallery, plus $1,000 in other cash prizes. Juror will be David Kassan, a realist portrait artist from Brooklyn, N.Y. The exhibit opens Oct. 23 and runs through Nov. 5. Go to uaatix.com, fill out the entry form and pay the entry fee. Mail artwork to the gallery or drop it off. Entries must be received no earlier than Oct. 15 and no later than Oct. 17.
• CALL FOR YOUNG POETRY RECITERS: The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation present Poetry Out Loud: National Recitation Contest, in partnership with Alaska State Council on the Arts and Juneau Arts & Humanities Council. Poetry Out Loud is a program that encourages high school students to learn about great poetry through memorization, performance and competition. During fall and winter 2012-2013, schools are invited to participate in classroom and schoolwide contests, advancing to a state competition on March 19, 2013. State champions will advance to the national finals, set for April 29-30, 2013, in Washington, D.C. High schools that wish to be part of the official Poetry Out Loud program must register online at http://jahc.org/arts-education/poetry-out-loud to participate. Students who participate in the official Poetry Out Loud program may be eligible to compete in the state and national finals in 2013. Each state champion will receive $200 and an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., to compete for the national championship. The registration form and information may be found at http://jahc.org/arts-education/poetry-out-loud. General information on Poetry Out Loud is available from Poetry Out Loud at poetryoutloud.org, or call JAHC at 586-2787 for more information about the Alaska program. The deadline to register is Oct. 15, 2012. The statewide final will be March 19, 2013.
• CALL FOR SINGERS: Singers in the community are invited to participate in a choir conducted by Tai Wai Li, the choir director of Central Lutheran Church, organist of First Church of Christ Scientist and adjunct instructor of University of Alaska Anchorage. He holds music degrees in conducting from University of Washington and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The choir will prepare and perform J.S. Bach's Cantata No. 191, "Gloria in Excelsis Deo." The performance is scheduled for Dec. 21. Rehearsals are held from 7-8:30 p.m. Thursdays at Anchorage Lutheran Church. More information may be obtained at anchoragelutheran.org or by calling 272-5323.
• OPEN CALL: For the 19th year, Out North is hosting "Under: 30," a collection of completely original, risky, thought-provoking shows under 30 minutes. The performance can consist of any genre or mix-up of genres including theater, dance, music, monologue, puppetry, performance art, multi-media and emerging forms. These shows will be performed in January and February. Deadline for submissions is Oct. 15. For more information regarding submitting your proposal, visit outnorth.org/events/under30proposal.php or call 279-8099, ext. 203.
• CALL FOR ARTISTS AND WRITERS: Denali National Park has called for applications from visual artists and writers for the 2013 Artist-in-Residence program. Established artists and writers use a historic roadside cabin as a base to explore the park and seek inspiration from it. Many works from previous artists-in-residence are displayed in the Denali and Eielson visitor centers. Artists reside in the East Fork cabin, Mile 43 on the park road, for a 10-day period between now and mid-September. In return, each artist donates a piece of artwork or written piece to the park's collection. They also offer a public presentation for visitors at the end of their residency. Applications are available online at nps.gov/dena/historyculture/arts-program.htm.