South comes from behind to beat Dimond in battle of unbeaten teams

jpeters@adn.comDecember 5, 2012 

— In the biggest Cook Inlet Conference hockey game of a young season, South junior Tyler Onstott came up with a huge shot Wednesday at Ben Boeke Arena.

With less than two minutes remaining, Onstott's rifle blast from near the blue line found the net for South's second goal in less than a minute and capped a 4-3 come-from-behind win over Dimond in a battle between two unbeaten teams.

South took sole possession of first place in the CIC with the win and improved to 7-0 in CIC play. The Wolverines also snapped Dimond's 39-game winning streak that dated back to the semifinals of the 2011 state playoffs.

Defending state champion Dimond, which beat South in the semifinals of last season's state playoffs fell to 6-1 in the CIC and sits alone in second.

"It's the first time we've beat Dimond in, I think two or three years," said South captain Trevor Geerin, who finished with two assists. "It was a great team effort and it was fun to be a part of."

Geerin sacrificed his body to help set up the goal that tied the score at 3-3 with 2:25 to play. He took the puck toward the net, right up the middle of the ice. When he was within about 15 feet of the goal, he was sandwiched by two Dimond players and collapsed to the ice. The puck still managed to progress forward, however, and Steven Orizotti wound up depositing it in the net.

"I tried to join the play and get something to happen offensively and ended up getting my bell rung, but right when I got up and saw the puck go in the net, there's no better feeling," Geerin said.

South trailed from the get go, falling behind 2-0 after first-period goals from Dimond's Tyler Andrews and Kenny Hausinger. Dimond was in complete control of the game as the second period began, but then Cayden Cahill buried a shot from close range to pull South to within 2-1. That brought the Wolverines to life.

They started skating faster, shooting more often and basically taking control of the action. South fans filled the packed arena with a deafening roar when Cameron Klatt tied the score at 2-2 with a power-play goal with 2:12 left in the second period.

The cheering abruptly shifted to Dimond's side of the bleachers, however, when Tyler Garcia put the Lynx up 3-2 just 21 seconds later. Garcia broke free down the middle of the ice on an assist from Andrews and scored from close range.

Dimond outshot South 14-9 in the third period, while both teams maintained a fierce level of hustle. After South took its first and only lead, the Lynx still had 1:48 left to forge a tie and they put together a few frantic attacks around the South net in that time.

"We were just trying to scramble, block shots, get down and keep the puck away from our net," Geerin said. "It was really intense and I'm just happy we could come away with the win."


Reach Jeremy Peters at or 257-4335.



Anchorage Daily News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service