BALTIMORE — The Ravens remain firm that they were on the verge of hammering out a deal with quarterback Joe Flacco last August before hitting an impasse in contract negotiations with his agent.
Without disclosing figures, majority owner Steve Bisciotti said the team offered Flacco top-five quarterback money. If that's the case, it would have paid him in the range of $16 million to $20 million annually based on other quarterbacks' compensation levels.
Now the Super Bowl champions are hoping to work out a deal this offseason with the Super Bowl's Most Valuable Player after tabling talks for the entire season.
Flacco's agent, Joe Linta, has told The Baltimore Sun he thinks Flacco should be the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. That would mean exceeding Drew Brees' $20 million average per year and Peyton Manning's $18 million average.
"We offered him a top-five contract last year, and we will be back at the negotiating table, and it was pretty close last year," Bisciotti said Thursday during a news conference at team headquarters. "So we'll be right back at the table, and I don't see us winning the Super Bowl making the negotiation any more difficult than it would have been had we gone out in the first round of the playoffs. We both know that we want each other, and it's up to (general manager) Ozzie (Newsome) and Joe Linta to work that out. Then, Joe (Flacco) and I will go golfing or something like that."
Linta told The Sun he's prepared to relaunch discussions with Ravens vice president of football administration Pat Moriarty whenever the team wants to sit down with him.
Newsome expressed confidence a deal eventually will be completed, referencing past contracts with high-profile players like outside linebacker Terrell Suggs and running back Ray Rice.
"I am coming away thinking that we can get a deal done," Newsome said. "I got a very good owner. He understands the business. He understands the importance of certain positions, so I'm optimistic."
The Ravens are facing a March 4 NFL deadline to make Flacco their franchise player to avoid him becoming an unrestricted free agent. They are debating between whether they use a nonexclusive franchise tender of $14.6 million or an exclusive tender of roughly $20 million.
If the Ravens are unable to get a contract done with Flacco, it would affect their ability to retain other free agents like inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, outside linebacker Paul Kruger and cornerback Cary Williams.
Should the Ravens get a long-term deal finished with Flacco, Newsome indicated they won't use the franchise tag to retain any other free agents.
"We're looking to get a fair deal with Joe, and, yes, the franchise number does consume a lot of cap room," Newsome said. "Joe Linta is looking for a fair deal. If we are able to get a deal done, it will allow us to participate more in the market if we choose. We understand what the priority is."
Reed on Ravens' radar
Newsome isn't giving up hope on potentially retaining veteran free safety Ed Reed.
Reed's six-year, $44.4 million contract has expired.
Newsome already has broached the subject with Reed, but the parties won't hold serious conversations until Reed has contemplated his future.
Reed has interviewed agents after firing his previous representation years ago. Reed has yet to hire a new agent, which complicates his status.
"Unofficially, we've had conversations," Newsome said. "I think he's still representing himself. I don't know if he's got an agent, but I think he wanted to let some time clear. At that point, he and I will sit down. I think he realizes there may be some other options out there. I think if you watched his body language over the course of the last eight to 10 days that he loves being here in Baltimore, and I think we can use that to help make that relationship last a little bit longer."
McKinnie's future unsure
Newsome indicated that the ball is in the court of offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie regarding whether the former Pro Bowl blocker is back next season.
McKinnie is an unrestricted free agent who battled conditioning and weight issues and didn't regain his starting job at left tackle until he lobbied coach John Harbaugh and left guard Jah Reid suffered a season-ending toe injury.
The 6-foot-8, 354-pounder performed well in the postseason as the Ravens allowed just six sacks in four playoff wins.
"BMac is a free agent, I think the way he played down the stretch against (Indianapolis Colts outside linebacker Dwight) Freeney, against (Denver Broncos outside linebacker Elvis) Dumervil, against (San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker) Aldon Smith, I think it makes a statement for him," Newsome said. "I think he has a decision to make as to whether he wants to come back and play here."
Schedule conflict
The Ravens have already reacted to their scheduling conflict with the Orioles surrounding a Sept. 5 NFL season-opening night game at M&T Bank Stadium.
The Orioles are scheduled to host the Chicago White Sox that night in a 7:05 p.m. game at Camden Yards. They could potentially move their game to earlier in the day to avoid parking and traffic issues.
"We've made contact with the Orioles," Ravens team president Dick Cass said. "We recognize the issue. We are confident we can work it out with the Orioles."
The Ravens' opponent hasn't been determined yet, but the top candidates include the New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Texans and Green Bay Packers.
Statue for Lewis?
The Ravens are already exploring the possibility of paying tribute to retiring middle linebacker Ray Lewis with a statue of him outside M&T Bank Stadium.
"Yes, we have to work that out," Bisciotti said. "Yes, I think he set himself apart in Baltimore sports history. We will certainly look into it, and I would not be surprised if there is one there in the next year or two."
End zone
The Ravens' coaching staff is remaining intact. The Philadelphia Eagles' hire of former Cleveland Browns linebackers coach Billy Davis as their new defensive coordinator eliminates Ravens linebackers coach Ted Monachino as a candidate to leave. Monachino had been linked to the Eagles, but was never formally contacted. ... Bisciotti indicated the team will continue to have at least three open training camp practices, as they did last year. He's interested in scheduling a fourth practice open to the public. "We want that interaction," Bisciotti said. "Logistically, it's hard, but we aren't going backwards." ... The post-Super Bowl tour continues for Flacco. His latest destination: "Live with Kelly and Michael." Flacco taped the show Thursday and it's scheduled to air Friday morning. He'll appear alongside Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan. Flacco was asked to ring the opening bell on the New York Stock Exchange but is expected to pass on that invitation.











