Anchorage -- The Public Relations Society of America, Alaska Chapter, honored long-time Alaska public relations professional Mary Barber, APR, Fellow PRSA, with its prestigious Bruce Pozzi Chapter Service Award last Thursday night at the Crowne Plaza during the chapter’s 30th annual Aurora Awards.
Alyeska Pipeline Service Company’s corporate communications team was honored with the chapter’s 2012 Grand Award for the highest scoring entry in the Aurora Awards, which are presented annually to recognize Alaska’s top professional public relations performance and technique.
Barber, who has served in a wide variety of leadership roles at the chapter and national level for PRSA, is one of only three individuals to receive the award. It recognizes a member whose service to the chapter has been significantly above and beyond expectations during the previous years of service. The award is named for Bruce Pozzi, APR, Fellow PRSA who founded the chapter in 1977 and has been an active volunteer leader since that time.
Alyeska received the Grand Award for its entry “Delivering Excellence: TAPS 35thAnniversary.” Alyeska’s 35th anniversary campaign was a sustained 35-day event utilizing multiple communications tactics, strategies and platforms to reach several audiences.
Awards were presented in 23 categories during Thursday’s ceremony. Aurora Awards honored comprehensive public relations campaigns that successfully communicated a message using a variety of tools, programs and components while the Awards of Excellence recognized exemplary design, creation and production of a single public relations tool.
First-place Aurora Awards were presented in the following categories:
· Community Relations: Alaska VA Rural Veterans Outreach Campaign, “We’re Here For You,” Solstice Advertising for Alaska VA Healthcare System
· Reputation Management: U.S.F.S. Chugach and Tongass Awareness Campaigns, Solstice Advertising for U.S.F.S. Alaska Division
· Events and Observances (Seven or fewer days): Southcentral Foundation’s 15th Annual Gathering, Southcentral Foundation
· Events & Observances (More than seven days): Delivering Excellence: TAPS 35th Anniversary, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company
· Marketing Communications: Jen & Matt Mortgage Marketing Campaign, Northwest Strategies for Alaska Housing Finance Corporation
· Internal Communications: AHFC 101, Northwest Strategies for Alaska Housing Finance Corporation
There were 13 Awards of Excellence categories, with 10 public relations teams taking first-place honors. Notably, for the first time the awards competition included a social media category, won by University of Alaska Fairbanks’ “Naturally Inspiring” Social Media Campaign.
For a complete list of 2012 Aurora Award recipients and competition categories, please visit www.prsaalaska.org/past/.
Established in 1977, the PRSA Alaska Chapter connects communications professionals working in the Last Frontier. Today, PRSA Alaska includes more than 150 members statewide, providing public relations practitioners and communicators with monthly luncheons, professional development seminars, webinars, career postings, education, awards recognition, accreditation preparation and more. Learn more about PRSA Alaska by visiting www.prsaalaska.org.