Jake Berkowitz, the Big Lake musher who made it to Nome with 15 dogs in harness, won the award for dog care Sunday at the Iditarod finishers' banquet in Nome.
Berkowitz, who placed eighth, finished with at least four more dogs than anyone else in the top 20. Most mushers started the race with 16 dogs and dropped several at checkpoints along the 1,000-mile trail.
Other top award-winners Sunday were Mike Williams Sr. (mushers' choice award for inspiration), Mikhail Telpin (Herbie Nayokpuk Memorial Award) and Cim Smyth (sportsmanship award).
Below is a complete list of the 2013 Iditarod award winners:
• Pen Air Spirit of Alaska Award: Aaron Burmeister
• GCI Dorothy G. Page Halfway Award: Lance Mackey
• Millennium Alaskan Hotel First Musher to the Yukon Award: Martin Buser
• Wells Fargo Bank Alaska Gold Coast Award: Mitch Seavey
• Anchorage Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Winner's Truck Award: Mitch Seavey
• Wells Fargo Bank Winner's Purse: Mitch Seavey
• ExxonMobil Mushers Choice Award: Mike Williams, Sr.
• Alaska Airlines Leonhard Seppala Humanitarian Award: Jake Berkowitz
• Horizon Lines Most Improved Musher Award: Nicolas Petit
• Northern Air Cargo Herbie Nayokpuk Memorial Award: Mikhail Telpin
• Sportsmanship Award: Cim Smyth
• City of Nome Lolly Medley Golden Harness Award Winner: Tanner, Mitch Seavey Leader
• Nome Kennel Club Fastest Time from Safety to Nome Award: Ramey Smyth, 2 hours 19 minutes
• Jerry Austin Rookie of the Year: Joar Leifseth Ulsom
• Northern Air Cargo Four Wheeler Drawing Winner: Anna Berington
• Golden Clipboard Award: Ophir
• Golden Stethoscope Award: Dr. Sterling Thomas and Dr. Dirsko VonPfeil
• Red Lantern: Christine Roalofs