Spark leads to fuel and tire fire in S. Anchorage

bbrasch@adn.comOctober 11, 2013 

Autocat Recycling fire

Anchorage Fire Department personnel confer after a liquid-fuel fire was extinguished at Autocat Recycling of Alaska on Friday morning, October 11, 2013 at East 68th Avenue and Rosewood Street in South Anchorage.

ERIK HILL — Anchorage Daily News Buy Photo

A fuel and tire fire Friday morning started from one spark igniting a bucket of fuel in a South Anchorage machine shop.

Employees of Autocat Recycling called in the fire at 9:58 a.m. after a spark accidentally lit a bucket of fuel while they were working, said an Anchorage fire captain.

An employee had been using a chop saw to break down a generator for parts for 30 seconds when sparks flew to the southern wall of the shop, said Capt. Patrick Gregg.

One of the sparks flew about 15 feet into a bucket of fuel, which ignited the bucket and a nearby pile of tires, he said.

Gregg said the fire had been going for about 4 minutes before he and his team arrived and that there were no injuries.

The employee, who wished to remain nameless, said he was doing what he does every day.

"I messed up," he said.

Gregg said there's about $20,000 in damage.

-------------

Reach Benjamin Brasch at bbrasch@adn.com or 257-4349. Twitter: twitter.com/ben_brasch

Anchorage Daily News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service