UAA women cruise to another win in Hawaii

jpeters@adn.comNovember 21, 2013 

Kiki Robertson turned in a big game for the UAA women's basketball team Thursday night in Honolulu, Hawaii, where the Seawolves rolled to a 93-57 nonconference win over Chaminade while setting a record for rebounding.

The freshman led all scorers with 23 points, pulled in 10 rebounds, dished six assists and made four steals to help the Seawolves improve to 4-0 heading into next week's Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout.

The performance came with an added motivator for Robertson, who is from Honolulu.

"She must have had a 100 people in the stands, at least," said UAA coach Ryan McCarthy. "Half the stands were all her friends and family."

Robertson has showed off impressive skills in all four UAA games this season, and Thursday marked her second double-double. So far, she is exceeding expectations, McCarthy said.

"She's really, really fun to watch," he said. "She can make some high-level plays you don't see a lot in basketball in general, men or women's."

UAA pulled down 66 rebounds -- with Kylie Burns getting 16 of them -- to establish a Great Northwest Athletic Conference record for rebounding, even though the game wasn't a conference game. Five of Burns' boards were offensive rebounds.

"I thought we rebounded the ball well," McCarthy said. "We pursued it well on the offensive end. I thought Kylie Burns did a really good a job of that."

Alli Madison continued her strong start, getting a career-high in scoring for the second straight game. She deposited 21 points to go with five rebounds and five steals.

Keke Wright accumulated a season-high 15 points and pulled down seven rebounds; Jessica Madison chipped in 14 points; Alysha Devine produced seven points and seven rebounds and Jenna Buchanan, who has been nursing a broken finger, scored four points in her first action of the season.

Hanna Curtius led Chaminade with 12 points.

UAA started fast, capitalizing on numerous fast-break opportunities to grab leads of 8-0 and 27-8 before taking a 53-22 lead at the half. As the game progressed, the Seawolves stopped using a full-court press and started finding ways to give players some rest.

"The gym was about 90 degrees, so we were shuffling bodies in out of rotation," McCarthy said.

The Seawolves play their next two games against Division I opponents at the Shootout. In Tuesday's first round, they face UC Riverside in a rematch of the 2006 Shootout final.

Anchorage Daily News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service