• CALL FOR ARTISTS: Chugach Arts Council is gearing up for its second year of "Art of Conservation" projects. Artists of all ages, abilities and media are invited to submit art to be included in beautiful books to be published next year in connection with National Pollinator Week, Endangered Species Day and World Oceans Day. There is no fee for members and a $25 fee for non-members. Deadline for submissions is March 15, 2014. (623-703-8890, www.chugachartscouncil.org)
• CALL FOR ARTISTS: The Alaska Railroad Corp. is soliciting submissions for its annual commemorative artwork program. The artist selected will be commissioned to create artwork that is the basis for the official 2015 Alaska Railroad print. In order to be considered, artwork must include an Alaska Railroad theme. For the 2015 print, the Alaska Railroad is particularly interested in artwork that features train service or railroad infrastructure at Portage, in Whittier or along the Whittier Branch. These areas have yet to be showcased in an Alaska Railroad annual art print. While it's not mandatory, submissions that feature the Portage-to-Whittier areas will receive additional consideration. Deadline for submissions is Feb. 21, 2014. Artist submissions should be presented as a single thumbnail sketch no larger than 11 inches by 17 inches. To provide context, the sketch may be accompanied by a few samples of the artist's finished artwork. Submissions should be mailed to: Stephenie Wheeler, Alaska Railroad Corporate Affairs, Alaska Railroad, P.O. Box 107, Anchorage 99510; or hand-delivered to 327 W. Ship Creek Ave. Drop off between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. (265-2671 or WheelerS@akrr.com)
• CALL FOR YOUNG ARTISTS: F Magazine has announced the fourth annual Alaska Statewide Youth Art and Writing Competition, open to youths in grades 7-12. Finalists will have their art curated in a gallery and stories published in F Magazine. The top two finishers will be awarded full scholarships to Sitka Fine Arts Camp. Deadline to submit stories and art is Monday. Find all the details on F Magazine's website, fhideout.org.
• CALL FOR YOUNG ARTISTS AND WRITERS: Registration is now open for the Alaska Region of the Scholastic Art and Writing Contest, open to all students in grades 7-12 in public, private or home schools throughout Alaska. Students must submit their work no later than 8 p.m. Jan. 6,2014. Students are encouraged to register (free) as soon as possible. Submission fees ($5 individual, $20 portfolio) can be paid on submission. Teachers are also encouraged to register as soon as possible, as each submission must identify an adult as an associated "educator" and it's easier for students if their teachers are already registered. Participants may be eligible for regional as well as national awards. Get all the details at facebook.com/YEAAlaska.
• CALL FOR WRITERS, VIDEO PRODUCERS, SPEAKERS, PERFORMERS: TEDx Anchorage will feature a series of talks, videos and performances by those who are helping write Alaska's story, and needs creative individuals to share their experiences. All interested parties are encouraged to apply. For an application, please visit http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/tedxANC2014 or contact us at TedXANC@gmail.com. The deadline for applications is Sunday. The TEDx is set for March 29 in the Loussac Library.