Spenard home uninhabitable after late-night fire

thanlon@adn.comJanuary 2, 2014 

A fire late Wednesday destroyed a single-story home and displaced a Spenard family, according to the Anchorage Fire Department.

Twelve fire units responded to a structure fire at 3924 Borland Drive after one of the home's occupants called 911 at 11:15 p.m. reporting "that the whole house was on fire," said Al Tamagni, fire department spokesman.

Flames and smoke were visible from outside the house, Tamagni said.

Firefighters determined a portable electric heater in a utility room was too close to a pile of clothing, causing the fire, he said. Tamagni did not know how many people lived in the home.

He said the American Red Cross of Alaska did not respond. There were no injuries reported. A trailer parked next to the home sustained about $3,000 in damages, Tamagni said.

Reach Tegan Hanlon at thanlon@adn.com or 257-4589.

Anchorage Daily News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service