A family of four were left homeless and a firefighter needed medical attention after a fire in the South Fork area of Eagle River on Wednesday, officials said.
The 911 call came in around 4:10 p.m. from a neighbor reporting smoke and flames shooting out of the wood-sided home at 6961 Waterfall Drive off of Hiland Drive, said Al Tamagni, fire department spokesman.
Capt. Steve Kostlin of Station 11 in Eagle River said the fire started in "what looked like an atrium" on the left side of the three-story home. Twenty-one units from the Anchorage Fire Department and Chugiak Volunteer Fire and Rescue responded.
Firefighters initially fought the blaze from inside the home, but an unstable structure sent them back outside. A firefighter fell from first floor into the basement was able to crawl out of a window. He was taken to a medical facility, Kostlin said.
"He doesn't appear to be injured at this point, but he will be checked out," Kostlin said.
The family was not home when the blaze sparked. The Red Cross responded and set them up in a hotel for the night, said Tanguy Libbrecht, chief executive officer of Red Cross of Alaska.
At 6:31 p.m., the fire was under control. About eight units remained on scene at 8 p.m., dispatch said.
It was not immediately know what caused of the fire.
Reach Tegan Hanlon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 257-4589.