Chugiak mobile home fire displaces 2 adults, 9 children

dkelly@adn.comFebruary 21, 2014 

A family of 11 was displaced when a fire burned through the floor of a mobile home in Chugiak late Thursday night, fire officials said.

The fire was reported at 10:23 p.m. on the 22000 block of Dogsled Court in Chugiak, behind the post office near the Glenn Highway. Chugiak volunteer firefighters who responded found that a fire had started underneath the home and burned through the floor in a bedroom, said Virginia McMichael, chief of the volunteer fire department.

Firefighters entered the mobile home and made holes in the floor to prevent the fire spreading to other areas, McMichael said.

"Other than that, there's little damage to the interior," she said. She said there didn't appear to be much personal property lost, and the fire may have been caused by an electrical issue.

No one was injured. The family, two adults and nine children, is being helped by the Red Cross, McMichael said.


Reach Devin Kelly at dkelly@adn.com or 257-4314.

Anchorage Daily News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service