State of Intoxication blog
Posted on February 26, 2014
From Marc Lester & Kyle Hopkins in Anchorage --
Most children and especially most adults with a fetal alcohol syndrome disorder will never be diagnosed.
“Probably 1 percent of individuals who are walking around the state of Alaska right now who have this disability, 1 percent are getting a diagnosis and the other 99 percent are not,” said Marilyn Pierce-Bulger, a nurse practitioner and member of the diagnostic team for Anchorage-based Assets Inc.
Posted on January 9, 2014
Mothers Against Drunk Drivers today scored Alaska four out of five stars in a state-by-state ranking of DUI prevention across the country.
Posted on January 7, 2014
States that directly control their own alcohol sales through state-run liquor stores get more revenue from booze than states like Alaska that issue liquor licenses to private retailers, the University of Michigan has found.
Posted on January 6, 2014
The family of an Anchorage woman killed by an accused drunken driver has sued Chilkoot Charlie’s, where the man drank heavily before the crash, according to police.
Posted on January 3, 2014
Can you tell when you're too drunk to drive? After buying a pocket Breathalyzer, photographer Marc Lester and reporter Kyle Hopkins headed downtown on New Year's Eve to find out how capable people are of estimating their intoxication level.
Posted by KYLE HOPKINS on December 10, 2013
A Spenard liquor store must stop selling alcohol for one week as punishment for selling to an underage buyer, state regulators decided Wednesday.