The Anchorage Daily News asked candidates in statewide elections their views on a variety of issues. We're posting their responses between now and Election Day. See each candidate's full list of answers by clicking on their mug shot in the right column.
Question: What are the five most important steps for the governor to take to reduce domestic violence and sexual assault in Alaska?
1. Improve law enforcement through VPSOs, Troopers, and local law enforcement.
2. Improve access to civil legal assistance and eliminate barriers to such services.
3. Increase availability of emergency statewide shelter services and eliminate barriers to services.
4. Provide transitional services like job placement, substance abuse counseling, and affordable housing so victims don't have to choose between going back to their abusers and homelessness.
5. Create an integrated Domestic Violence program in the Alaska Court System.
Our goal: To end the epidemic of domestic violence and sexual assault in 10 years. How? More law enforcement, increase shelter and resources for victims, and work to prevent these crimes from happening (Choose Respect campaign). We will also add resources and pursue those who prey upon Alaska children through the internet and abuse/defraud seniors.
William "Billy" S. Toien