Witnesses allege assaults by Rollins in police substation

Lisa Demer

Then-Anchorage police officer Anthony Rollins offered a young woman a ride home in Mountain View late one night in December 2008. But instead of driving her a short way to her mother's home, Rollins took her to the police substation, the woman told jurors Tuesday.

She said she told him she didn't want to be there and needed to get home because of her mother's curfew. He told her it would be OK. She described him sexually assaulting her and said she fiddled with a tape dispenser on the counter to get her mind off what was happening,

The woman, who was 20 at the time, was the third alleged sexual assault victim of Rollins to testify at his trial in Anchorage Superior Court. A fourth victim began her testimony Tuesday and described how Rollins pursued her for months, then, when he finally got her alone, masturbated and danced around in the police substation. Two others are still to take the stand.

Rolllins, 43, faces 20 criminal counts, including charges of first- and second-degree sexual assault, official misconduct as a police officer, and criminal use of a computer. He's accused of assaulting six women over a three-year period ending in April 2009. His defense lawyer disputes that some of the sex acts ever happened and says that others were consensual.

The Daily News does not identify sex crime victims unless they specifically allow it. Prosecutors asked that the women testifying against Rollins be identified only by initials.

T.N., who has long wavy hair and spoke in a soft voice that shook at times, told jurors she had met Rollins the previous summer when she was out walking early one morning. He stopped his police cruiser and told her she shouldn't be out so early. That night in late December, she was helping her younger brother move out of their mother's house and took some food and clothes to his new place. Some time after 11 p.m., she left to walk the few blocks home. If she missed curfew, her mother would lock the door, she said.

Rollins pulled up in his police cruiser and asked if she wanted a ride. She got in the back. They talked a bit. He asked for her phone number. She showed him where she lived. But he kept going. He wanted to keep talking, T.N. told jurors she remembered him saying.

He asked about her piercings. She has an eyebrow ring and her tongue and nipples are pierced.

He drove slow. They ended up at the Mountain View police substation, farther from her home than where she started. He told her he wanted a hug, inside the building, T.N. said. She followed him in. He seemed nice enough.

They stood not far from the door, which was closed. He hugged her for a long time and began rubbing his hands along her body.

What was going through your mind? prosecutor Brittany Dunlop asked.

"This ain't right," T.N. said.

She turned away from him, she said. Rollins began touching her under her clothes, she told jurors.

"What were you doing to communicate to him that it wasn't wanted?" the prosecutor asked.

"I kept telling him I didn't want to be here and that my mom has me on a curfew and that I needed to get home." T.N. said. He said he'd talk to her mom.

She started playing with a roll of tape on the counter.

Rollins asked her to perform oral sex, she testified, but she didn't respond. She didn't even look at him. He pulled her sweats down part way and had intercourse with her, she testified.

What did she do when he did that? Dunlop asked.

"I kept playing with the tape," she said.

He didn't use a condom, she said. She went into the substation bathroom to clean herself up.

He told her what they did was between them, and drove her home, she told jurors.

She called her brother that night and told him what happened, she said.

She was crying, her brother testified, and told him she felt dirty without explaining. She got off the phone to take a shower, then called him back and told him a police officer had raped her, the brother said.

T.N. said she was too shaken and scared to report what happened. She couldn't trust the police, she said. Later, Rollins kept calling her and also came by her house, she testified. She said that behavior "kind of creeped me out."

Defense lawyer Susan Carney asked her if she remembered telling police that she never told Rollins "no."

"I didn't say 'no' but I did stress the fact that I didn't want to be there. That I didn't want that to go on," T.N. testified.

She told jurors she didn't feel she could stop Rollins.

"Because he has so much power," she said, crying.

The other alleged victim who testified Tuesday was E.V., now 31, who said that she first met Rollins in July 2008 when he pulled over her car for having studded tires. In late August, he stopped a vehicle her friend was driving. It was around 1 a.m. and they were leaving a bingo hall in Mountain View.

But instead of asking for driver's licenses, he asked for their phone numbers, E.V. testified in Spanish. A court interpreter translated.

Rollins started calling her every day, she said, wanting to see her, take her out to dinner. He texted too. She wasn't interested. She had a boyfriend.

She said she felt intimidated because of his uniform, the power he held. She didn't want to report him.

"I just thought he was sick," she testified under questioning by prosecutor Sharon Marshall.

Early one morning in March 2009, she was in bed after a night of bingo when he called, telling her he had work for her cleaning a building.

She needed a job, she said, so got dressed and went outside. He drove her to the police substation. She got scared. She wondered if he was going to kill her and throw her in the garbage, she testified.

He took off his gun, then his belt, then lowered his pants and began masturbating, she told jurors.

"He would dance around and he would touch himself and he would say 'C'mon baby,' " E.V. said. She told him she needed to get home to her children.

She was trying to get to the door, she said, when he pulled her back and began rubbing against her and putting her hand on him.

Her testimony continues today.

Rollins was a 13-year veteran of the Anchorage police force.

Contact Lisa Demer at LDemer@adn.com or on