Here's a list of Veterans Day activities for Friday in Anchorage and the Mat-Su:
• Maj. Gen. Thomas H. Katkus, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard, hosts a Veterans Day ceremony at 10:30 a.m. today at the Alaska National Guard armory on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson. The ceremony will include the presentation of the 2011 Governor's Veterans Advocacy Award by Lt. Gov. Mead Treadwell and a keynote address by Col. Robert Evans, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson and 673rd Air Base Wing commander. Immediately after the Veterans Day ceremony, Canadian forces will conduct a Remembrance Day Ceremony at the Fort Richardson National Cemetery.
• Veterans Day service and ceremony, hosted by American Legion Post 1, 840 Fireweed Lane, starts with a free dinner for veterans and active-duty military, from 4-7 p.m. today. It continues with a ceremony from 5-6 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial, west of I Street between Ninth and 10th avenues. Post Commander Jim Grant will officiate. Readings, a short speech and playing of taps are planned. After the ceremony, veterans are invited back to the post to enjoy live music, 6-10 p.m.
• The West High Air Force JROTC Program has a special flag-raising ceremony in front of the school at 7 a.m. This event is set to start when President Obama is scheduled to place a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. All veterans are welcome.
• At the University of Alaska Anchorage, a Veterans Day remembrance roll call is scheduled for today, where volunteer students read all of the names of military men and women who gave their lives in service to our country in Iraq and Afghanistan during the past decade. UAA Chancellor Thomas Case will open the ceremony at 8 a.m. in the Student Union Cafeteria. Readings are expected to last until approximately 4 p.m. Refreshments will be served. Immediately after the reading, a flag-folding ceremony will be held.
• Birchwood ABC School has a Veterans Day ceremony with military honors at 2:15 p.m. The school will host the Northern Lights Brass Band of the Pacific and the Elmendorf Honor Guard.
• Applebee's restaurants serve up free "thank-you" meals to active-duty military members and veterans who show their IDs. Visit either of the two local Applebee's between 11 a.m. and midnight today. Locations are 4331 Credit Union Drive and 7611 DeBarr Road.
• Subway, the world's largest restaurant chain, will offer free six-inch regular or flatbread sandwiches to active or retired members of the U.S. armed forces today at select Anchorage, Eagle River, Mat-Su and Fairbanks restaurants.
• Veterans Day breakfast, 8-10 a.m. today at Primrose Retirement Community, 889 N. Elkhorn Drive, Wasilla.
• Honor Ceremony, 11 a.m. today at the Veterans Wall of Honor near the Mat-Su Medical Center, off the Parks Highway.Reader photos: Alaska veterans
Post your veteran photo