It's a great weekend to be a Seawolf
It's a big, busy week for UAA athletics. The hockey team, volleyball team and both basketball teams are all playing at home -- setting up rare Wells Fargo Sports Arena tripleheaders on Friday and Saturday -- and the cross-country team made news without even racing.
A look at all things Green and Gold:
• The hockey team entertains the Minnesota Gophers, the second-ranked team in the nation, in Western Collegiate Hockey Association games Friday and Saturday at Sullivan Arena.
• The men's basketball team hosts the four-team round-robin AT&T Jamboree. The Seawolves play at 5 p.m. each day and the Nanooks of UAF play at 3 p.m. each day. Completing the field are two Division II teams from the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference -- Colorado Christian and Colorado State-Pueblo.
• Ryan McCarthy debuts as the women's basketball coach in a Friday game against Colorado School of Mines. It's the only game of the week for the Seawolves.
• The volleyball team celebrates Senior Night during its final home match Saturday against Seattle Pacific. The night's honorees will be outside hitter Nikkie Viotto of Eagle River and setter Kimya Jafroudi of Huntington Beach, Calif. See how the Seawolves fared Thursday against Montana State-Billings here.
• For the third straight year, Michael Friess swept the Great Northwest Athletic Conference coach-of-the-year honors, earning the award in both the men's and women's divisions.
• The ski team is co-hosting the annual Ski Swap at West High, a popular fundraising event that is one day only this year, Saturday at West High from noon to 5 p.m.