Man arrested in fatal shooting outside Platinum Jaxx

Casey Grove

This story has been updated. Find the new story here.



Police on Friday said they had arrested a 26-year-old man accused of shooting and killing Said Beshirov in October outside Platinum Jaxx.

A grand jury on Thursday indicted Korakanh Phornsavanh on charges of first and second-degree murder in the death of Said Beshirov, 27. Police are still asking for the public's help in the investigation, calling on any witnesses that they have not yet interviewed to call 561-STOP.

The shooting happened during a fight outside the bar around closing time, and people involved, and witnesses, left the scene before police arrived, police have said.

Police said detectives interviewed witnesses, reviewed surveillance videos and also recovered two videos "shot by uninvolved patrons."

Phornsavanhc is being held on $1 million at the Anchorage Jail, police said.


Here is the full statement police sent to reporters Friday afternoon:

The Anchorage Police Department has arrested 26-year-old Korakanh PHORNSAVANH for the October 28th, 2012 murder of 27-year-old Said BESHIROV.

On October 28, 2012, at about 02:53 AM, Anchorage Police were dispatched to the area of Sixth Avenue and I Street, just outside Platinum Jaxx (901 W. 6th Avenue), in response to a fatal shooting. The shooting had occurred during a Halloween celebration where most of the attendees arrived at the club dressed in costume.

The incident occurred as the bar was closing, with many patrons outside waiting for rides. During a scuffle that broke out between two groups of individuals, a female patron was knocked to the ground. This caused more individuals to join the mêlée, resulting in several physical altercations. During the course of the fighting shots were fired; BESHIROV was struck and killed. The suspect and several witnesses fled the scene before police arrived.

Detectives interviewed several patrons and witnesses, many of whom had varying levels of intoxication. In addition to these interviews detectives reviewed video surveillance from the establishment and surrounding business, and relied on the public's assistance in recovering two videos shot by uninvolved patrons that captured portions of the various fights. Upon completion of the investigation, the case was presented to the Grand Jury on June 13th, 2013 by the Anchorage District Attorney's office. The Grand Jury returned an indictment against PHORNSAVANH, charging him with 1 count of Murder in the 1st Degree and 1 count of the Murder in the 2nd Degree.

The Anchorage Police Department is again asking for the public's help. Due to the large number of potential witnesses in this matter, anyone who has information who has not been interviewed by police is encouraged to come forward. To remain anonymous, individuals with additional information can call Crime Stoppers at 561-STOP or submit a tip online at

PHORNSAVANH is being held at the Anchorage Jail on $1,000,000 bail.



Anchorage Daily News /