APD Crime Analysts recently conducted study of thefts from vehicles and shoplifting between January to October. That study showed a 40% increase in thefts from vehicles and a 25% increase in shoplifts between 2012 to 2013.
With the holiday shopping season kicking off this Black Friday, the Anchorage Police Department would like to remind shoppers of a few tips to keep themselves and their purchases safe.
* Stay alert and be aware of what’s going on around you.
* Hold purses tight to the body and carry purchases on the same arm to make it more difficult for a robber to steal.
* Park in a well-lit area and be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
* Do not leave valuables out where they can be seen by others.
* If you plan on making multiple trips to the vehicle with purchases, consider re-parking your car to avoid break-ins.
* Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
* The holidays are a good time to update or create a home inventory. Document descriptions of valuables; include the make, model, and serial numbers. If your home is burglarized, having a detailed inventory can help identify stolen items and make insurance claims easier to file. Store your inventory list in a place that is safe and not on a device that can be lost or stolen. Photograph items of value that don’t have a serial number such as jewelry, silver, artwork, etc.
Look out for one another this season and report suspicious activity to your local law enforcement by calling APD at 786-8900.
APD press release