Wasilla man arrested for sex assault failed to register as sex offender

Zaz Hollander

WASILLA -- A 28-year-old Wasilla man arrested Sunday on charges he sexually assaulted another man. The suspect  was bailed out of jail a month ago on felony charges of failing to register as a sex offender, according to court documents.

Alaska State Troopers said they arrested Qauarliak "Dominic" Manumik after discovering what documents described as the brutal sexual assault of a 26-year-old male acquaintance at Manumik's home near Wasilla.

Manumik moved to Wasilla in October from Nunam Iqua, according to a sworn troopers' affidavit filed with charging documents.

Manumik is a registered sex offender convicted in 2005 of second-degree attempted sexual abuse of a minor, according to the state's sex offender registry. The case centered on sexual contact the then 19-year-old Manumik had with a 15-year-old, according to court documents filed in Bethel court.

He was sentenced to one year in jail with credit for time served and good behavior, according to the judgment in the case.

Troopers came to Manumik's home on Oct. 25 in response to an alarm and discovered he had failed to update the state's sex offender registry with his new address, according to the affidavit. They arrested Manumik, who remained in jail until his release on bail Nov. 10.

The circumstances surrounding Manumik's release weren't immediately clear.

His attorney, Joshua Fannon, said he couldn't comment when reached Wednesday.

The sexual assault occurred Saturday night or Sunday morning, court documents show.

The victim flew in from a village in western Alaska Saturday evening and took a cab with Manumik back to his home on North Tanana Drive, according to a sworn affidavit filed in Palmer court by Trooper James Streicher. The victim later said he had been drinking, bought two more bottles of alcohol and passed out by 10:30 p.m.

The next thing he remembered was "waking up in the hospital with a tube in his throat," Streicher wrote.

The sexual assault report came in at 3:49 a.m. after a cab driver who knew Manumik went to his house, the affidavit said. Manumik hadn't paid the driver in the past, called him to say he had his money, and invited him inside when the driver arrived.

The driver saw blood everywhere and realized a partly naked man, apparently unconscious, had been sexually assaulted, according to Streicher's affidavit.

The driver called 911 after leaving the house and removing Manumik from his cab with help from other drivers, according to the affidavit.

Troopers got to the house and confirmed the driver's description of the assault, the affidavit said. Manumik, apparently intoxicated, declined to make any statements. The victim was still unconscious when troopers arrived. He was taken to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center, then transported to Alaska Native Medical Center for surgery, troopers said.

Manumik was charged with second-degree sexual assault and two counts of fourth-degree assault and remained jailed at Mat-Su Pretrial Facility as of Wednesday afternoon.

The October arrest for failing to register was Manumik's second, according to an affidavit filed with that case. He was convicted in Emmonak of the same charge in 2006, the affidavit said.

Reach Zaz Hollander at zhollander@adn.com or 257-4317.