Man, gotta be tough on UAA sitting around all weekend idle and waiting for results from around the WCHA to see where it stand.
UAF moved into a fourth-place tie with UAA and owns a game in hand after its 4-1 win over league-leading Ferris State tonight in Fairbanks. Alabama-Huntsville won for just the second time all season, earning a 2-1 victory at Bemidji that can only help UAA's cause. Minnesota State-Mankato kept its title hopes alive by winning 5-0 at Lake Superior. And Northern Michigan beat Bowling Green 4-1 -- both are below UAA in the standings, so one of them was going to pick up ground on UAA (OK, two of them, had they tied).
So, heading into Saturday's play on the penultimate weekend of regular-season matches, here's how the league stacks up. Keep in mind that teams play 28 league games and next weekend's UAA-UAF series in Fairbanks could decide a lot. Also, only the top eight make the postseason conference tournament, and the top four finishers earn home ice for the first round.
1) Ferris State -- 38 points in 25 games
2) Minn. State-Mankato -- 36 points in 25 games
3) Michigan Tech -- 28 points in 26 games
4) tie, UAF -- 26 points in 25 games
4) tie, UAA -- 26 points in 26 games
6) tie, Bowling Green -- 24 points in 25 games
6) tie, Lake Superior -- 24 points in 25 games
8) Northern Michigan -- 23 points in 25 games
9) Bemidji State -- 22 points in 25 games
10) Alabama-Huntsville -- 5 points in 25 games
By DOYLE WOODY, adn.com