Everybody has spring fever in Alaska, including the airlines that fly north from the Lower 48. As the days get longer, airlines like JetBlue, American, Frontier, Air Canada, Sun Country, Condor and Icelandair bring travelers from around the world to the Great Land.
Usually, intrepid Alaskans can catch some great deals on the back haul to destinations far and wide. But this year is different, due to the cat fight between Delta and Alaska Airlines. That has led to historic low fares from both Fairbanks and Juneau. Let’s review:
• Fairbanks-Seattle $198 roundtrip on Delta, starting June 3 for nonstop flights. Alaska Airlines also offers the fare -- but on fewer days and only on select flights.
• Fairbanks-San Francisco from $376 roundtrip on Delta, starting June 3.
• Fairbanks-San Diego or Los Angeles (LAX) from $390 roundtrip on Delta, starting June 3.
• Fairbanks-Denver from $268 roundtrip on Frontier Airlines, starting June 3 (nonstop).
• Juneau-Seattle from $198 roundtrip on Delta, starting June 3 (nonstop). Again, Alaska has matched the fare on some days -- on select flights.
• Juneau-San Francisco from $356 roundtrip on Delta, starting June 3.
• Juneau-Salt Lake City from $360 roundtrip on Delta, starting June 3.
Anchorage residents also have some great deals coming, including:
• Anchorage-Long Beach from $297 roundtrip on JetBlue, starting June 4 (nonstop).
• Anchorage-Denver from $361 roundtrip on Frontier Airlines, starting June 3 (nonstop).
• Anchorage-Salt Lake City from $397 roundtrip on JetBlue, starting June 3.
From Fairbanks and Juneau, Alaska offers some fares that are just a few dollars more. Frequent travelers will remember that Club 49 members get two free checked bags, while you have to pay for checked luggage on Delta. Do the math.
Delta’s new flights from Fairbanks and Juneau are a big threat to Alaska’s monopoly on air travel options. Accordingly, Alaska Airlines is offering double miles for all Club 49 members. In fact, Delta is running a double miles promotion as well -- but only for Washington state residents.
Speaking of Club 49, there are some great deals between Anchorage and Kodiak, just $200 roundtrip during the month of June. You must purchase by Thursday, May 15.
Scott McMurren is an Anchorage-based travel marketing consultant who has lived in Alaska for three decades, spending much of that time traveling the far-flung corners of the state. Visit his website at www.alaskatravelgram.com or follow him on Twitter for breaking travel news.