Early-morning mobile home fire displaces 6

Devin Kelly

Six people were displaced by a fire that engulfed an East Anchorage mobile home early Friday morning, fire officials said.

No one was injured in the blaze, which was reported about 3:02 a.m. in the 5800 block of East Fourth Avenue, within the Four Seasons Mobile Home Park. Fire crews arrived on the scene at 3:10 a.m. and brought it under control about 40 minutes later.

A still-burning cigarette placed in a plastic container on the deck apparently caused the fire, said Gina Treesh, dispatch supervisor at the Anchorage Fire Department.

Treesh said it's a good time to remind people to avoid placing cigarettes in containers on decks, especially flowerpots, which may contain peat.

"A lot of fires start that way during the summer," Treesh said.

The Red Cross assisted five adults and one child displaced by the fire. Treesh said the home was a total loss.

Reach Devin Kelly at dkelly@adn.com or 257-4314.