The Anchorage Fire Department responded early Monday morning to an East Anchorage residential fire.
The fire, reported at 3:42 a.m. as a chimney fire in the 3100 block of Cassius Court, had consumed about a third of the single-story structure when crews arrived, fire department spokesman Al Tamagni said. Seven fire units responded to the scene, which is near Bragaw Street and Northern Lights Boulevard.
Blown-in insulation complicated efforts to put out the fire, Tamagni said. The department can remove insulation mechanically, but if it gets too wet they need to "take the ceiling down and shovel the stuff out," he said. Crews had cleared the call by 8 a.m.
It didn't appear that the fire displaced any residents, according to dispatch logs.
Reach Zaz Hollander at email@example.com or 257-4317.
By ZAZ HOLLANDER