Manslaughter indictment in Unalaska bar fight death

Jim Paulin | Dutch Harbor Fisherman

An Anchorage grand jury has indicted a fisherman on a charge of manslaughter following a conflict that left one man dead in Unalaska.

The grand jury on June 1 indicted Anthony F. Pouesi, 28, of Shelton, Wash. According to the indictment, he "recklessly caused the death of another person, Marlo Adams."

In the early morning of May 22, Unalaska police responded to a report of a "man down" on the sidewalk outside the Harbor View Bar at about 2 a.m.

Eyewitnesses told police that Adams, 44, of Yakima, Wash., and Pouesi "were involved in a heated argument outside the bar. They were arguing when Pouesi punched Adams once in the face. Adams fell backwards onto the ground and began bleeding from his head and mouth," according to a court document.

"Adams was immediately transported to Anchorage for medical treatment at Providence Hospital, however, Adams demonstrated clinical signs of brain death at Providence, and was declared legally dead at approximately 5 p.m., on May 23, 2014," according to the court document, which stated that the attending doctors observed multiple skull fractures.

Manslaughter is a class A felony with a maximum sentence of 20 years.

Pouesi was located by police at the Bering Fisheries dock, on the fishing vessel Norcoaster. "Pouesi said he felt threatened by Adams when Adams approached him. Pouesi said he punched him once in the face. Pousi said it was an impulse act," according to a court document which reported a police interview with a witness, Joshua L. Delbrouck.

Delbrouck told police that he tried to keep the men apart.

"Officers reviewed video surveillances from the Harbor View Bar. Officers observed Delbrouck standing in between Adams and Pouesi, it appeared as though Delbrouck was attempting to control Pouesi. Officers also observed Pouesi punched Adams with his right hand. Adams then fell straight to the ground landing on his back," according to police.

Pouesi's bail was set at $50,000, and the condition of a third party custodian. Pouesi was also charged with a misdemeanor for falsely identifying himself to police, saying his name was "Mike Lewis."

This story first appeared in The Bristol Bay Times/Dutch Harbor Fisherman and is republished here with permission.

Dutch Harbor Fisherman