On Monday, a fire ripped through Juneau’s downtown Gastineau Apartments, shutting off power as firefighters battled the blaze, the Juneau Empire reports.
At around 5:15 p.m. Monday, the apartment building at 127 South Franklin St. was evacuated due to the risk of smoke inhalation. By 6 p.m., the apartment was “invisible behind a grey wall of smoke,” and all of the residents were out of the building, the Juneau Empire reports.
Flames rose above the building and as smoke billowed down the streets and could be smelled at Aurora Harbor, northwest of downtown. At about 6:20 p.m., the power went out, only to be restored some three hours later. Fears that the Elks Lodge next door would be lost seemed assuaged around 7:30 p.m., as the facade showed no signs of damage.
Barlett Regional Hospital spokesman Jim Strader told the Empire that a “handful of patients” had minor injuries as of 8:15 p.m. Monday. An emergency shelter is in place at Centennial Hall. Read more.
The cause of the fire has not been reported.