Navel gazing at 100? The University of Alaska is approaching its centennial anniversary, and administrators have reached out to help shape the next hundred years of instruction for students.
The Alaska Journal of Commerce reports the university has crafted an initiative called Shaping Alaska’s Future 2017 in consideration of how to best meet future student needs.
Goals of the strategic direction initiative include:
- Gathering input across the university system
- Hold 80 listening sessions with staff, alumni, students, faculty and Alaska businesses
- Hear feedback from consultants
- Address student retention rates
- Assess remedial education for students coming out of high school as well as nontraditional students
University of Alaska President Pat Gamble told the Journal he hoped to address these and other issues facing the school while simultaneously keeping costs in check.
The strategic direction initiative's goal? "Get better at the business of service and be less bureaucratic," he told the Journal. Read the full story.