Fur Rondy: Events for Sunday, Feb. 24
The Fur Rendezvous (Fur Rondy) Festival has been a long standing winter tradition in Anchorage and one of the city's biggest annual events. It was established over 70 years ago as a sort of swap meet for fur traders in the region. Rondy has since evolved into a city wide winter festival returning every February to help ushers in the beginning of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
Here's a list of all the official Fur Rondy events taking place around Anchorage on Sunday, Feb. 24:
- Rondy Yukigassen (a hybrid of capture the flag, paint ball and snowball fights) at 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Hilltop Ski Area
- Rondy Snowshoe Softball: 8:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Kosinski Field (E 16th Ave. and Cordova)
- All Alaskan Basketball Classic: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Clark Jr. High School
- GCI Snow Sculpture Competition: 10am-10pm Ship Creek Ave, across from Comfort Inn
- Rondy Carnival: grounds open 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. in downtown Anchorage (3rd Ave. and E St.)
- Awards Ceremony for the GCI Snow Sculpture Competition begins at 11 a.m. at Ship Creek Ave, across from Comfort Inn
- Rondy World Championship Sled Dog Races (Day 3) begins at noon (4th Ave and D St.)
- State of Alaska Hide and Horn Auction from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. (3rd Ave. and E St.)
- Amateur Photo Contest up at the Mall at Sears noon to 6 p.m.
- Rondy On Ice at 1 p.m. at the UAA Wells Fargo Sports Center
- Rondy Melodrama - "Turnagain Temptations" at 1 p.m. at the Snow Goose Theater
- Blanket Toss: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (3rd Ave. and E St.)
- Alaska Aces Game (vs. Las Vegas Wranglers) at 3 p.m. at the Sullivan Arena
- Rondy Melodrama - "Turnagain Temptations" evening show at 5 p.m. at the Snow Goose Theater
- Rondy On Ice evening show at 5 p.m. at the UAA Wells Fargo Sports Center
For more information including prices, locations, specifics, etc. visit the Fur Rondy website or Fur Rondy HQ at 400 D Street Ste. 110 Anchorage, Alaska 99501.