AD Main Menu

Spark leads to fuel and tire fire in S. Anchorage

Benjamin S. Brasch
Erik Hill

A fuel and tire fire Friday morning started from one spark igniting a bucket of fuel in a South Anchorage machine shop.

Employees of Autocat Recycling called in the fire at 9:58 a.m. after a spark accidentally lit a bucket of fuel while they were working, said an Anchorage fire captain.

An employee had been using a chop saw to break down a generator for parts for 30 seconds when sparks flew to the southern wall of the shop, said Capt. Patrick Gregg.

One of the sparks flew about 15 feet into a bucket of fuel, which ignited the bucket and a nearby pile of tires, he said.

Gregg said the fire had been going for about 4 minutes before he and his team arrived and that there were no injuries.

The employee, who wished to remain nameless, said he was doing what he does every day.

"I messed up," he said.

Gregg said there's about $20,000 in damage.

-------------

Reach Benjamin Brasch at bbrasch@adn.com or 257-4349. Twitter: twitter.com/ben_brasch


By BENJAMIN S. BRASCH
bbrasch@adn.com