Thousands of Alaska hikers, bikers, and horseback riders will take to the trails they cherish Saturday to commemorate National Trails Day by donating a little sweat.
It's the 23rd such event organized by the American Hiking Society. Among the chores planned:
• Singletrack Advocates, a mountain biking organization based in Anchorage, will maintain trails on the Hillside and in Kincaid Park.
• Friends of Kachemak Bay State Park will take water taxis across Kachemak Bay for trail-clearing projects.
• Chilkat State Park will be improving its Battery Point Trail.
• Girdwood Parks and Recreation volunteers will help plant some 600 annuals from Anchorage Municipal Greenhouse.
• Denali Park Trail Crew will host an opening and day of work on its Horseshoe Lake Trail.
• The organization Hike It Baby Anchorage plans hikes on the Turnagain Arm Trail, Kincaid, Eagle River's South Fork Trail and the Moose Creek Railroad Trail in Palmer.
Alaska Dispatch Publishing