Two employees from the Alaska Village Electric Cooperative became trapped atop a wind turbine on an island in the Bering Sea, after a fire was sparked in the tower, Alaska State Troopers said.
In an online dispatch troopers wrote that at about 12:30 p.m. Thursday they were notified that the two employees became stranded while maintaining the wind turbine in Mekoryuk.
When a blaze began inside the base of the tower, the crews could not get out, troopers wrote.
But Mekoryuk citizens responded to the fire and were able to extinguish it. After the smoke cleared, troopers say, the two were able to get off the turbine.
The employees were taken to a clinic for observation, but no injuries were reported.
Troopers don't suspect foul play.
Mekoryuk is a community of 210 people who live on the north shore of Nunivak Island. It is also a part of the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.