Crime & Courts

21-year-old charged in Point Woronzof double homicide remains at large

More than 10 months after a young man and woman were found shot on a cold January morning at Anchorage's Point Woronzof , a 21-year-old man has been charged with their murder, state prosecutors announced Monday.

A grand jury handed up two counts each of first- and second-degree murder against Jamal Hall, the Anchorage District Attorney's Office said in a Monday statement. Hall has not yet been arrested.

Twenty-year-old Foriegnne Aubert-Morissette and 19-year-old Selena Annette Mullenax were discovered at Point Woronzof on Jan. 28.

A person walking a dog discovered the body of Mullenax shortly after 8:30 a.m., and responding officers found Aubert-Morissette nearby with "grave injuries" about an hour later. Aubert-Morissette was taken to a hospital but died a short time later.

"Allegedly, Hall shot Aubert-Morrissette in the head near the beach then allegedly shot Mullenax halfway down the hill," prosecutors said.

Detectives investigated the deaths over the past 11 months but have remained largely mum on details of the case. Prosecutors said several witnesses provided information that led to the indictment.

District Attorney Clint Campion declined to comment about a possible motive in the case, though he did say authorities have identified a motive. More details may be released when Hall is arrested, but much of what happened before Mullenax and Aubert-Morrissette were found that January morning will not come out until trial, Campion said.

The reluctance to release more information to the public stems from a voluminous amount of evidence police collected during the investigation, including multiple interviewed witnesses who are concerned about their safety, he said.

If convicted, Hall would face a prison sentence of up to 99 years on each murder count. His bail has been set at $1 million.

Mullenax's mother Rose Mullenax said he got excited at the news someone had been charged in her daughter's death, but most of that joy disappeared when she found out Hall remains at large.

"We'll still have to wait and see," Rose Mullenax said. "The charges are one step closer (to justice), but what's most important is confirmation of an arrest."

The mother said she does not know the suspect. She said she remains optimistic Hall will be found but his unknown whereabouts scares her.

"I wouldn't want to be in Anchorage right now," she said.

Hall was also charged last week for a November robbery at a Walgreen's in South Anchorage, prosecutors said. A judge issued a no-bail warrant in that case, as authorities believe he is a danger to the community, they said. He faces additional charges of first-degree robbery and third-degree assault in that case.

Police are actively searching for Hall.

A Facebook page that appears to be Hall's says he is originally from Fairview Park, Ohio, but lives in Anchorage, and he attended West High School.

Anyone with information about Hall's whereabouts is asked to call an Anchorage police detective at 907-786-8900, or to submit tips anonymously through Anchorage Crime Stoppers.

Jerzy Shedlock

Jerzy Shedlock is a former reporter for Alaska Dispatch News. He left the ADN in 2017.