Skip to main Content
Crime & Courts

Anchorage man gets 127 years for abduction and sexual assault of woman

  • Author: Jerzy Shedlock
  • Updated: August 18, 2017
  • Published August 18, 2017

Dustin Badillo listens during closing arguments in his trial on Monday, April 17, 2017, at Nesbett Courthouse. (Erik Hill / Alaska Dispatch News)

Dustin Badillo, who was found guilty earlier this year of abducting a woman and her children during a two-day crime spree in 2015, was sentenced Friday to 127 years in prison, officials said.

State prosecutors and Anchorage police made separate announcements about Badillo's lengthy sentence. Back in April, it took a jury less than two hours to convict Badillo on 19 of 20 counts, which included felony kidnapping, sexual assault, robbery and burglary charges.

Anchorage Superior Court Judge Kevin Saxby said, according to prosecutors, that the 23-year-old took advantage of a woman who'd been focusing on her children. The judge also noted the many victims, four of whom spoke at the hearing.

After buying breakfast at McDonald's on the morning of April 22, 2015, the defendant stole an unlocked car just off Northern Lights Boulevard, prosecutors said. Just after 8 a.m., he ended up on a quiet residential street.

Prosecutor Jenna Gruenstein said during trial that the victim was in her driveway loading her sons, ages 5 and 3, into their car seats in the family minivan, heading out to deliver the older child to school.

Badillo approached the mother and threatened her with a gun. He burglarized her home and sexually assaulted her on two occasions. Then began a three-hour drive around Anchorage in which Badillo made the woman withdraw money at ATMs and banks, the prosecution said.

Badillo eventually let the woman and her children, who remained in the van during the whole ordeal, out of the vehicle. The woman immediately called police and a citywide search began.

The following day, Badillo broke into another house in downtown Anchorage. He ran away when the family returned home, and police arrested him a short time later near North Star Elementary.

Local news matters.

Support independent, local journalism in Alaska.