Skip to main Content
Crime & Courts

Anchorage man charged with threatening to kill police officer, shoot up business

A 27-year-old Anchorage man faces federal charges after he threatened to kill a police officer and "hurt a lot of people," according to the criminal complaint filed in federal court.

Tyler C. Bateman was arrested in New York City by the FBI on Feb. 27. He was charged with two counts of threatening interstate communications.

Bateman first threatened a police officer, who is unnamed in court documents, after the officer served a protective order on Bateman on Dec. 6.

Bateman used public records to find out where the officer lived, then went on Facebook and sent a message to the officer's spouse, saying he knew where the couple lived, court documents say.

When police contacted Bateman about the message, he admitted to it, documents say. Bateman had previously taken a similar action against an Alaska judge, he told officers.

Then, on Feb. 26, Bateman started texting an unnamed witness saying that if he wanted to walk into an Anchorage business with an AR-15, "you won't ever stop me," court documents say. Prosecutors believe he was referring to a business owned by his grandfather.

"Pipe bombs. Gas grenades. Flash bangs. All that. You think it's just talk," Bateman allegedly said in text messages.

That same day, Bateman sent a Facebook message to the Anchorage Police Department in which he said he was "going to kill" a police officer and "several other people." The officer Bateman threatened had a relationship with a member of Bateman's family, charging documents say.

Bateman allegedly continued, "I am going to poison them with ricin. And I am going to walk into a building with an AR15. I am going to hurt a lot of people …. You won't stop me."

On Feb. 26, an FBI investigator found indications that Bateman was heading to New York in an online dating profile. "I just bought a one way ticket to NYC … am on my way now. I could use friends, a job, a place to sleep …" Bateman allegedly wrote in the profile.

Law enforcement used geolocation data from his phone to track Bateman's location, court documents say. He was arrested Feb. 27 in New York.

Bateman faces a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison and a fine of $250,000.00.

Local news matters.

Support independent, local journalism in Alaska.