Skip to main Content
Crime & Courts

Man sentenced to 15 years on drug charges after Anchorage police found him asleep at the wheel

In the early morning of April 29, 2017, Abreain Terron Dalton was found passed out at the wheel in the middle of an Anchorage intersection, before he woke up and fled from the police officers who had surrounded him, federal prosecutors say.

Dalton, who was sentenced to 15 years in federal prison Friday, was arrested that same morning in April. He was found with a stolen pistol, $4,800 in cash, and an assortment of drugs that police said he planned to sell.

Dalton, 36, pleaded guilty to possession with intent to distribute controlled substances and carrying a firearm in relation to drug trafficking in October, the U.S. attorney for the District of Alaska said in a written statement. Dalton is a resident of Victorville, California.

According to court documents, at 4:51 a.m. April 29, police began getting calls about a male driver "passed out in a vehicle" in the middle of the intersection at East Tudor Road and Old Seward Highway.

Officers arrived to find Dalton in the driver's seat, with his foot on the brake of a running vehicle. The first officer who arrived "observed the vehicle remain stationary through two green light cycles," court documents say.

Police blocked Dalton's vehicle from the front and back, and tried to wake him up.

"After several minutes, Dalton finally awoke and rolled down his driver's side window," court documents say.

But when officers told him to get out of the vehicle, Dalton put the car in drive and tried to ram through the police vehicles, according to prosecutors.

Officers pulled him from the vehicle, and "a physical struggle ensued" — one officer spotted a firearm on Dalton's waistband — before he broke free and ran from the officers, court documents say.

He was apprehended "a short time later," according to court documents. Police found around $4,800 on him. The firearm holster on his waistband was now empty, so officers retraced Dalton's steps and found a pistol that had been reported stolen a few months before.

While running from police, Dalton threw aside a bag of narcotics that contained 49 grams of methamphetamine, 51 grams of cocaine hydrochloride, 23 grams of heroin, 16 grams of crack cocaine and 29 grams of marijuana, according to investigators.

After serving his prison sentence, Dalton will have a five-year term of supervised release, and he must forfeit $4,830, federal prosecutors say.

Local news matters.

Support independent, local journalism in Alaska.