Crime & Courts

Anchorage man charged in mobile home park shooting was involved in SWAT standoff days later

The man accused of killing a 23-year-old Anchorage man in a mobile home park earlier this month was charged with murder Friday — and was involved in a lengthy SWAT standoff with police several days after the shooting occurred.

Brad Robert was trying to help two women when he was fatally shot on Nov. 11, according to charging documents filed in the case.

The man accused of shooting him, 29-year-old Anthony Tinker, was not immediately identified by police or arrested but instead ended up being taken to a hospital for psychiatric care, before he was released and immediately went on a crime spree that ended with a SWAT standoff, the charges said.

Tinker was charged with murder Friday, two weeks after the fatal shooting. Police did not immediately respond to questions Monday about the cases.

The shooting was reported just before 1 a.m. Nov. 11, when officers were called to the 900 block of Chugach Way.

Robert heard a disturbance outside involving two women and a man and he believed the women were in distress, according to a summary of police reports written by Assistant District Attorney Cody Tirpak and attached to charges.

He went outside try to help the women but was shot by the man, later identified as Tinker, the summary said. The women and Tinker ran from the area, Tirpak wrote.


Surveillance footage showed the group running from a parking lot at the 3800 block of Indiana Street, less than a block away, before and after the shooting, according to the summary.

Almost a week after the shooting, on Nov. 17, police spoke with the two women, who lived in the area, the charges said.

The women told police that Tinker, who is related to them, was acting erratically just before the shooting and ran from their home, so they followed him, according to the summary.

The women saw Tinker shoot Robert, the charges said, and they said they then all ran back to Indiana Street. Tinker left the home and returned at least two times to change his clothing and took the firearm with him, the summary said.

Officers encountered Tinker three days after the shooting, when police were called to the 3200 block of Minnesota Drive around 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 14. Police said at the time that Tinker was “yelling and appeared to be suffering from a mental health episode; the caller stated she was frightened due to Tinker’s behavior.” Tinker provided officers with a false name, according to a criminal complaint written by a police officer and included with charges in a separate case against Tinker.

He was taken to Providence Alaska Medical Center’s psychiatric unit by police and ultimately released. It’s not clear from the complaint if he received care, but he was provided with a voucher for a taxi ride.

Tinker was picked up from the hospital by a taxi driver that night and video from the ride showed him refusing to get out of the vehicle after it arrived at his destination, Sullivan Arena. The cab driver got out of the vehicle and Tinker got into the driver’s seat and drove away, according to the complaint.

Police responded to a collision at East Sixth Avenue and Fairbanks Street involving the stolen cab at 9:22 p.m., the complaint said. Tinker had fled the area by the time police arrived.

He went to a cannabis store several blocks away from the crash and used a handgun to threaten a woman who was waiting in the passenger seat of a car in the parking lot, the complaint said. The woman got out of the car and Tinker stole it, police said.

The victims reported the robbery just before 10 p.m. and police found the car wrecked half an hour later roughly 4 1/2 miles from where it was stolen, according to the complaint. The car had crashed into a parked semitrailer, the officer wrote in the complaint.

Tinker walked into an apartment on the 2400 block of Bentzen Circle around 9:45 p.m. with a gun and ordered everyone to leave, police said. He then barricaded himself inside the apartment.

Police initiated a SWAT response and ultimately used gas and dogs to detain Tinker, the complaint said. The response lasted more than four hours.

Tinker was brought to the Alaska Native Medical Center for injuries. He had a fractured forearm and underwent surgery for a laceration to his leg and was expected to be hospitalized for several days, the complaint said.

Police said the circumstances under which Tinker obtained the handgun were under investigation.

Tinker was charged with robbery, vehicle theft, burglary, assault, theft, criminal mischief and resisting arrest for the crimes leading up to the SWAT standoff.

On Friday, he was charged with first-degree murder, two counts of second-degree murder and tampering with evidence.

Tess Williams

Tess Williams is a reporter for the Anchorage Daily News, focusing on breaking news. Before joining the ADN in 2019, she was a reporter for the Grand Forks Herald in North Dakota and previously helped cover the Nebraska Legislature for The Associated Press. Contact her at