Child dies in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning near Big Lake

A 10-year-old child died Saturday from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, Alaska State Troopers said, and two other people in the home near Big Lake were hospitalized.

Troopers said they responded to a report of a possible carbon monoxide poisoning at a residence on Klebs Road at 8:55 p.m. Saturday.

They found a boy deceased. Two other occupants suffered no life-threatening injuries.

Troopers said the home had an appliance with an exhaust leak. Spokesperson Megan Peters wrote in an email that troopers suspect the source of the leak was a propane-powered refrigerator.

The boy was found in the main area of the residence and the other two occupants were in a separate bedroom, Peters wrote.

She said it was unknown Monday what caused the appliance to leak carbon monoxide. Peters wrote that the residence did not appear to have a CO2 detector. If it did, the unit was not operational, she added.

Suzanna Caldwell

Suzanna Caldwell is a former reporter for Alaska Dispatch News and Alaska Dispatch. She left the ADN in 2017.