The Arctic Sounder

North Slope police identify man who died in Utqiaġvik shooting

The North Slope Borough released more information Wednesday about a shooting death that happened in Utqiaġvik on Sunday, but many details remain unclear.

Just after 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 26, North Slope Borough Emergency Dispatch received a report of someone with a gunshot wound at a residence on Sakeagak Street in Utqiaġvik, close to Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital in Browerville, according to a statement from the borough mayor’s office.

Emergency responders arrived at the scene and found 29-year-old Toetasi Fosi injured, the borough mayor’s office said. Fosi was taken to Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital, where life-saving efforts were administered; he succumbed to his injuries at the hospital and was pronounced dead, according to borough officials.

The North Slope Borough Police Department is investigating the incident, the borough mayor’s office said.

It was unclear whether police had any suspects or whether any arrests had been made in relation to Fosi’s death. The borough did not say whether police considered the death suspicious.

The District Attorney’s Office has been working with borough police, Fairbanks District Attorney Joseph Dallaire said.

“While this investigation plays out, the case has not yet been referred to my office for formal review and no charges have been filed at this time,” Dallaire said.


Borough officials have not released further information because it could interfere with the investigation and privacy rights of the people involved, said Kevin Fisher, assistant borough attorney with the North Slope’s Department of Law.

“Due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, additional information is not available at this time,” the borough mayor’s office said in its statement. “We want to reassure the community that there is no current threat to public safety related to this incident.”

Alena Naiden

Alena Naiden writes about communities in the North Slope and Northwest Arctic regions for the Arctic Sounder and ADN. Previously, she worked at the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.