Skip to main Content
Letters to the Editor

Readers write: Letters to the editor, February 11, 2018

  • Author: Anchorage Daily News
    | Opinion
  • Updated: February 10
  • Published February 10

(Pixabay)

Walker over Begich any day

Meaning no disrespect to Charles Wohlforth, but I find his opinion of Gov. Walker running as a Democrat or giving over the election to Begich rubbish (Column, Feb. 7). I don't find Begich to be of any substance, nor does he come across as a person of strength. His cachet seems to be his name.

On the other hand, Walker has come across as decent, honest and with Alaska's best interests at heart. Even while having to contend with our crazy, lazy, do-nothing Legislature, he maintains integrity. Frankly, I don't know how he does it.

— Laurie Thompson
Anchorage

Kids, dogs, pizza unite people

In these complicated and often divisive times it's extra special to have been part of an event that brought together a big cross-section of our community for a good time and a worthy cause. The cause, improvements to Whisper Faith Kovach Park, improvements that include a new, inclusive playground and a fenced dog park. The event, a silent auction fundraiser at Little Italy Restaurant. Many thanks to all who made this possible, members of the Abbott Loop Community Council, volunteers who helped with set-up, The Anchorage Park Foundation staff, the Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department, all the generous individuals and businesses who donated items for the auction, and special big thanks to PJ and the staff of Little Italy Restaurant for the space, the great pizza and lots of positive energy. Thanks too to all who attended and generously participated in the auction.

There may be lots of things causing divisions in America today but for sure dogs, kids — and good pizza — can bring us together. See you at the park.

— Susan Soule
Anchorage

Beware China's Arctic plans

As news of China's Polar Silk Road comes to light, did Alaska make a mistake by signing the Joint Development Agreement with China for the LNG pipeline?

China's Polar Silk Road is the latest expansion of Chinese President Xi Jinping's Belt and Road initiative. This "Road" reaches the Arctic.

"The Chinese military presence in the Arctic is likely to grow as the Arctic opens up, as Chinese naval capabilities grow and as Chinese interests in the Arctic region further strengthen," SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute) wrote in June. Don't forget, China has been illegally expanding its military might in the South China Sea.

The "joint development agreement" with China gives China 75 percent of the LNG from the gas line that would run from the North Slope to the Kenai Peninsula for export, "on a cost-based and stable price utilizing the benefits of strategic financing and investment." The other 25 percent would go to Asia. (Mustreadalaska.com)

Wait. Isn't China in Asia?

What do we get but a few years' worth of jobs? Are we so broke that we'd sell our resources to a potential enemy?

China's desire for world dominance makes me uneasy. Thankfully, the agreement is non-binding.

— Adrianne Milos
Haines

Parade about Trump's ego

President Trump does not seem to understand the significance of Veterans Day. For if he did, he would know it is to honor all those who have served the country through military service. The idea of having a huge parade in Washington is hardly for the veterans. It's pure and simple narcissism — Trump wanting to show he too can have a parade and play Commander in Chief like Kim Jong Un of North Korea.

I've marched in parades, representing our military, as a member of a Navy Color Guard unit. I've served meals to fellow veterans to thank them for their service. I've stood on the sidelines while watching units of our military paraded on holidays. I've ridden with the Patriot Guard in remembrance of those who are lying in a national cemetery. I remember the time when the Atomic Canon was displayed to show our military might did not rely on one person's ego. And I'll be damned if I'll watch a parade put on to accommodate The Donald's need to have our military march before him as a sign of his imagined importance.

— John A Parker
Kodiak

The views expressed here are the writers' own and are not necessarily endorsed by the Anchorage Daily News, which welcomes a broad range of viewpoints. To submit a letter under 200 words for consideration, email letters@adn.com, or click here to submit via any web browser. Submitting a letter to the editor constitutes granting permission for it to be edited for clarity, accuracy and brevity. Send longer works of opinion to commentary@adn.com.

Local news matters.

Support independent, local journalism in Alaska.

Comments