High School Sports

Fairbanks school district puts North Pole football coach on administrative leave

  • Author: Beth Bragg
  • Updated: September 7, 2018
  • Published September 7, 2018

Another Alaska high school football head coach has been benched, this time in North Pole.

A week after the Anchorage School District removed Dimond High's head coach from his position, the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District placed North Pole coach Dennis Diviney on administrative leave.

KTVF of Fairbanks reported Friday that Diviney is out as the Patriots' coach while the district investigates allegations against him.

The district did not provide further information about the investigation because the matter is a personnel matter, KTVF reported.

In other news Friday, Chugiak coach Ryan Landers said the Mustangs had to forfeit their only victory of the season for using a player in too many quarters in last week's win over Wasilla. Coupled with Friday's 73-13 loss to Bartlett, Chugiak dropped to 0-5 overall and 0-2 in the Chugach Conference.

Friday night in Fairbanks, two assistant coaches served as interim head coaches in place of Diviney for North Pole's Railbelt Conference opener against Palmer, KTVF reported.

Diviney became North Pole's head coach in 2016 and came to the school from Soldotna, where he was an assistant coach in Galen Brantley Jr.'s juggernaut program.

The Patriots were a combined 9-9 in Diviney's first two seasons and were 0-4 this season under Diviney going into Friday's Senior Night game in North Pole. Palmer won the game, 43-6.

On Saturday afternoon in Anchorage, Dimond will open Cook Inlet Conference play against the East T-birds with a new head coach on the sidelines.

Derek Brewer replaced Bernardo Otero as head coach last week after the ASD "released" Otero from his position after an investigation by the district determined that "inappropriate conduct" by some players happened while Dimond was in Fairbanks for an Aug. 18 game against Lathrop.

Dimond's football program was suspended for nearly two weeks, and the Lynx forfeited two nonconference games. The suspension was lifted last Friday, allowing the Lynx to play in Saturday's 2 p.m. game at East High.

This story has been edited to include information about Chugiak's forfeit.