Skip to main Content
UAA Athletics

Seattle Pacific sinks Seawolves in men’s basketball

  • Author: Anchorage Daily News
  • Updated: January 6, 2018
  • Published January 6, 2018

Saturday night was deja vu for the UAA men's basketball team.

For the second night in three days, the Seawolves were within striking distance of their opponent late in the game only to lose a heartbreaker to a Great Northwest Athletic Conference foe.

Seattle Pacific downed UAA 57-54 two days after the Seawolves fell to Saint Martin's 71-66 at the Alaska Airlines Center.

In a defensive battle that featured 14 ties and six lead changes, the Falcons ended the second half on a 12-3 run to steal the lead from UAA and go into halftime up 28-22. A buzzer beating 3-pointer by junior guard/forward Josiah Wood UAA's only made field goal in the final five minutes of the half.

UAA (7-7, 3-3 GNAC) fought back to tie the game at 38-38 in the second half on a layup by junior guard Malik Clements and later led 44-42 on two free throws by Wood with 10:32 to go.

Two ties later, Seattle Pacific (9-4, 4-2) took the lead for good on a pair of free throws by Nathan Streufert that made it 51-49 with 2:25 remaining.

UAA welcomed back senior guard D.J. Ursery, who finished with a game-high 23 points after missing Friday's game with a sprained ankle.

Sophomore guard Jack Macdonald added 12 points, but no other Seawolf tallied double digits. Wood recorded five points and four assists.

UAA remains without leading scorer Jacob Lampkin, who is out for the season with a foot injury, and guard Maleke Haynes, who is out with an academic issue.

Senior Brian Pearson started in Lamkpin's place in the middle and finished with four points and four blocks.

Freshman Brennan Rymer started his second game at point guard and chipped in seven points.

Seattle Pacific got a boost inside from its two forwards, Coleman Wooten and Streufert, who combined for 25 points and 20 rebounds.

Local news matters.

Support independent, local journalism in Alaska.