With new snow in recent days, many parts of Chugach National Forest are open to snowmachine use this weekend.
Most parts of the national forest are closed to motorized access until enough snow builds up to protect the underlying vegetation.
Starting Saturday, snowmachiners will be allowed access to Turnagain and Johnson passes as well as other areas. The Twentymile, Placer and Skookum drainages are still closed, according to national forest managers.
The other openings include:
• An area south of Summit Lake and east of the Seward Highway
• Palmer Creek area near Hope
• Lost Lake, including Primrose and Lost Lake Trail
• Forest lands near Cooper Lake and the Upper Russian River area
• Crescent-Carter Lake area
The Resurrection Pass area remains closed to motorized access through the year, according to Chugach National Forest. More up-to-date information and avalanche forecasts are available at www.fs.usda.gov/chugach or www.cnfaic.org.
By CASEY GROVE